Sunday, September 18, 2011

Learning How To Design Graphics

So, there are many parts of the website that my husband and I don't touch. The company we have our license through does many things for us, which is nice, because I would have to take classes on that part (computer help support and stuff) and I just don't care to. But, what I am learning is where to find FREE resources on the internet for minor graphic designing needs.

Luckily for us, there are many other site owners who have been down this road before and are more than wililng to offer places they've found that offer resources for free. I do not like paying for things if I can find them free, especially as a business owner with no income as of yet. Our site has advertising spaces that are different sizes that need to be filled with something. But I didn't know how to do it.

Something I've learned - every advertising space that is on a website is a certain size. You've got the long, skinny "banner" ads that go across your screen, the little squares that are on the side of the screen, rectangular ones, all kinds of sizes. If you don't have the software to create those, where do you find it?

A fellow colleague suggested BannerSnack. Now, I haven't played with this site enough to know it's full potential, but for basic graphic design needs, this fits the bill. I can make a banner for any occasion in about 5 minutes and have it on the site in about 6 minutes!

It's important to spend time researching in the beginning for things like this, because it has saved me a TON of time, rather than trying to learn how to do this myself or paying for a professional!

No comments:

Post a Comment